The Q&A Archives: slits---holes in rose leaves

Question: My friend has beatuiful red tea roses ... many leaves seem to have holes in them ... please advise on a remedy. Thank you.

Answer: Based on your description I am not certain what is affecting your friend's tea roses. A severe hailstorm can damage the foliage.

Rose slugs (sawfly larvae) can leave elongated holes. Look for them on the underside of the leaves, they are about a half inch long "caterpillar worm" at maturity. Here is some information about those.

Japanese beetles will skeletonize a leaf, but I think it is still a little early in the season for them to appear.

You might want to contact your local Penn State county extension and ask them which pest(s) are currently a problem on roses in your local area. They should be able to help you identify the pest and based on knowing that, you can decide how to treat it.