The Q&A Archives: dahlias in zone 5

Question: I just realized I ordered plants (Dahlia) out of my zone area. I am not into moving and lifting plants up every year and replanting. I want a plant/bulb that I plant once and it's good. Will this plant(s) die over the winter? Is there anything I can do to cover and prevent it from the harsh enviorment or did I just waste a lot of money? Thank you.

Answer: You may be able to coax your dahlias into surviving the winter by placing a 6-10" layer of mulch over the soil before it freezes. Some dahlias are hardier than others and this method works for the hardiest of the lot. Or, you can consider planting hardy bulbs. There are many bulbs, corms, rhizomes and tubers from which to choose. Most gardeners plant crocus, daffodils, tulips, iris and gladioli. Try other lesser known bulbs, such as scilla, puschkinia, ranunculus, muscari, tigridia, winter aconite, allium, anemone, chionodoxa, among many others. Most of these selections will reward the gardener by multiplying from year to year.

Best wishes with your garden!