The Q&A Archives: How to get rid of ants

Question: I have heard a combination of Borax (laundry detergent)and sugar can get rid of pesty ants. My question is how much of each do I mix together?

Answer: The following article from the extension service at Colorado State University discusses using boric acid to control ants. You may need to mix it with sugar or with a protein such as peanut butter, depending on what kinds of ants you are trying to stop. Also be very sure it is not accessible to children or pets. Also, note that the boric acid (and the boron contained in borax laundry products) is toxic to plants so you do not want to use large amounts of it outdoors. You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.

I hope this helps.