The Q&A Archives: Fruit Trees In Containers

Question: I am getting 2 Semi Dwarf Peach question is .....can I plant them in containers.
And if so could you give me any information on planting them. Thank You

Answer: Dwarf fruit trees are perfect for growing in containers. Choose a large (half-barrel) container and make sure it has lots of drainage holes in the bottom. You can fill it with straight potting soil or a 50/50 mixture of potting soil and garden soil. I wouldn't use plain garden soil - it can dry out and be really hard to rewet. The potting soil or potting soil mixture will allow good drainage as well as hold a fair amount of moisture to make the roots happy. Plant so your trees are at the same soil level as they were in the nursery pots and keep them well watered. Peach trees grow best in full sunshine. It may be a few years before they set fruit, but the wait is worth the reward!

Best wishes with your new trees!