The Q&A Archives: Gazania - Grown Best Directly?

Question: I grew gazanias last year from a plant I bought at a store. I am now going to buy a plant through the mail and would like to know if I should keep it in a pot on the deck or if it would do better in the ground? I have a long and thin plot in the front ofmy house that already has a lot of perennials in it (rubekia, lily of the valley, mondo grass, evening primrose and lychnis (sp?), plus some adjuga. Not much room for annuals. What do I do?<br><br>Thanks in advance.

Answer: Gazania does much better in an area where it can spread. For that reason, it requires a large container or a plot of your property where it can stretch a bit. Gazania is pretty tough, and drought tolerant, so if your perennial bed doesn't have any vacancies and perhaps you have a spot for her that you wouldn't consider the best, as long as it is well drained and gets full sun, it sounds like a good spot for gazania to me.