The Q&A Archives: My sad lawn

Question: Hello,
I have a backyard that is part Zsoysia grass plugs that are finally spreading(after 3 years), and the rest is crabb grass, weeds and bare spots under the bird feeders. What kind of fertilizer/weed preventer and grass seed can I use and Not harm the Zosia grass? My yard is quite large, part shade and part sun obviously.
It also has a slope towards the woods in the back. Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you,

Answer: Based on your description I think you may be facing several problems in establishing the lawn. Zoysia requires full sun all day to stay healthy, so it will not thrive in shady areas. The other more shade tolerant lawn grasses still need at a minimum a half a day of sun to grow well. So if you have somewhat shady areas you may need to consider establishing a shade tolerant ground cover in those areas instead of grass. Lawn grasses are not able to compete with tree roots, so if you have extensive areas near trees, this may also suggest using a groundcover in those areas.

In general, a healthy zoysia lawn will crowd out weeds. Zoysia requires a different regime of care from the other types of lawn grass. Here is some information about growing zoysia -- a warm season grass -- and about growing cool season grasses. It was developed for Virginia and Maryland, however should apply in your area as well. YOu may need to cut and paste the complete urls to make them work correctly.

I hope this helps!