The Q&A Archives: Moles in the yard

Question: I have put grub killer down, and just about every other imaginable product. Even used Juicy-Fruit gum in the holes (it actually does work, btw). But I guess I have such a problem, that the moles aren't going away very fast. My cat tries hard to catch them, but rarely manages to do it.

So, what to do? Only problem for my situation is that my cat is indoor/outdoor, and so I must use something that won't hurt her.

Answer: I've heard rumors about Juicy Fruit gum so it's nice to learn it worked for you! Not anything I would recommend, though. Gophers do feed on grubs and other insects. I've you've eliminated the grubs, then they are simply nesting in the ground and traveling around your yard. That doesn't mean they aren't a pain, though. To get rid of gophers, invest in a scissors-type gopher trap, and set it carefully - as often as necessary to catch and kill the entire population. Once you've gotten rid of the gophers, encourage your neighbors to do the same. If it's any consolation, gophers in your yard are a compliment to your skills as a gardener. They prefer rich, moist, organic soil teeming with insects!