The Q&A Archives: New Plant wilting

Question: I bought a creeping zinnia and planted it in a hanging pot. After about two days it started to wilt and I have been watering it. What do I do. HELP

Answer: Creeping zinnia (Sanvitalia Procumbens) is a ground-hugging charmer that covers itself with little yellow flowers with brown centers. An annual, it loves hot, dry conditions, making creeping zinnia perfect for a sunny rock garden or any other baked spot. Give it full sun in poor soil and it will thrive. It grows about 4 inches high and 6 to 8 inches long. It needs soil that's dry so water infrequently.

It isn't unusual for newly planted plants to become wilty. Once they get over the stress they perk right up. Your plant isn't a good candidate for indoor growing; it craves sunshine and hot conditions. Move it outdoors as soon as possible; water once to wet the soil, then allow the soil to dry out before watering again.

Hope this helps you save your new plant!