The Q&A Archives: Bird of Paradise

Question: I do not know anything about gardening. I purchased a bird of paradise and would like to plant it outside. Will I kill it if I do?

Answer: Lisa,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

It can't take freezing temperatures and judging by your location you probably have freezes in the winter season. I would suggest if you want to plant it out in the ground you put it in a pot and then sink the pot into the planting bed so it looks like it is growing in the ground. Then when cold weather threatens you can dig out the pot and clean the outside off to take the plant in to a protected location.