The Q&A Archives: Why are my red peppers turning yellow

Question: Why are the red peppers turning yellow and dropping off of the plant.Also the plant has very dark spots on the stalk.

Answer: Unfortunately, based on the information in your question I am not certain what is happening to your pepper plants.

If you are seeing green fruits (peppers) turn color to yellow and then drop, it is possible you have a yellow-fruited variety and they are ripening and then falling off. Although not common, it is not too unusual for peppers and tomatoes to become mislabeled during the retail process if shoppers accidently mix them up when checking and reading the tags.

Too, it is very early in the season to see peppers on the plants. If you purchased plants with peppers already on them, they may be dropping them due to transplant shock.

If you are seeing the foliage yellow and drop, that can be a sign of over or underwatering or overfertilizing or disease issues. You might find the following information helpful in reviewing your growing technique.

If you think your growing conditions have been good, you might try the following diagnostics to troubleshoot.

You may also want to consult with your local Rutgers county extension to try to diagnose the problem more specifically.