The Q&A Archives: aphids on honeysuckle vine

Question: I found that my honeysuckle has aphids, I know I can spray them with a pesticide but I'm worried about my hummingbirds that come to eat from these plants, HELP!!! I did try spraying the aphids off with the hose - not working.

thanks
cheryl

Answer: Aphids can be a real problem with honeysuckle, and I understand your reluctance to use pesticides where hummingbirds frequent. Insecticidal soap will eliminate the aphids, and will not harm beneficials such as lady bugs, but I think the jury is still out on whether to use it around hummingbirds. I have read that it poses no problems for them, especially if you try to avoid spraying the insides of the flowers. As an added precaution, you can wash the Insecticidal Soap off after 10-15 minutes. Hope this information is helpful!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Agave"