The Q&A Archives: Stumped About Tomato Plant Leaves?

Question: On some of my tomato plants the leaves are turning brown around the outside of the whole leaf. Do you know what is causing this to happen?
Please Help In NJ
Joe < >

Answer: When leaves brown along the outer edge, it is usually due to an environmental problem of some kind. It might be due to overfertilizing or excess salt in the soil, for instance, or to accidental chemical exposure. It could also be due to underwatering or to some kind of root problem such as the plant has not rooted out into the surrounding soil after planting. This type of symptom is difficult to diagnose long distance. You might want to consult with your local Rutgers county extension and see if they can give you a more precise cause. Based on knowing that, you can determine what to do. I'm sorry I can't be more specific for you.