The Q&A Archives: I have new sod, 3 weeks old.

Question: I have watered daily for 3 weeks now every morning, how often should I water from here on out this year? I do not have an in ground irrigation system, so it is a manual process. I say twice a week for about 45 minutes, my wife says once is plenty (she would have to do one of the days)

Answer: Here's how to adjust:
Water every other day for the 3rd week.
From the 4th week on, water 4 times per week until seasonal weather changes require a change in watering practices. The goal is to provide one-inch of water per week to your lawn.

If you have ROTARY sprinklers:

In full sun, water 30 minutes, turn off sprinklers for 15-20 minutes, they water for another 30 minutes. This equals 1 hour per zone.
In shade or on a slope, water 15-30 minutes per zone.

If you have SPRAY sprinklers:

In full sun, water 10-15 minutes per zone.
In shade or on a slope, water 5-10 minutes per zone.

To test if you are applying enough water to your new sod lawn, pull back a piece of sod that is not yet rooted and check the soil underneath. It should be damp and cool. If the soil is dry or saturated, you should fine-tune your watering periods. Perform this test in different locations of your yard. Once you have done this test a few times and your sod is rooted, you will have a feel for its regular watering needs.

Actual watering times and frequencies should be adjusted depending on seasonal temperatures or rainfall amounts. Treat your sprinkler controller as if it were a thermostat in your home; if your lawn seems too dry, increase the time settings to water longer.

Hope this answers your question!