The Q&A Archives: transplanting

Question: Hello,
I am growing a blackberry bush,lemon tree, and grape vine in containers. They are doing well thus far and are getting preety big. I want to transplant them to bigger containers. I would like to know when is a good time to do this.
Thanks Sincerely

Answer: The blackberry and grape will become stunted if left in too small a container, so you will need to transplant them now. They will need very large containers, such as a half whiskey barrel size. This will be very heavy. Consider using casters under the new container to help move it to its winter storage location such as an unheated garage. The lemon tree should be moved to the next larger container size. These usually grow well in relatively small containers, and can be pruned to keep the top growth in proportion to the rootball. I think you could still move it now, as the plant matures it is better to repot it as needed in the spring.