The Q&A Archives: Pot that kills all of my plants

Question: I have this old pot that I absolutely love but for some reason everything I plant in the pot dies. I have changed the soil and still everything dies. I used to have no problem with having plants thrive in this pot so I'm not sure what to do or what made this happen. I believe the pot is made out of clay but I'm not really sure - it could be terracotta.

Answer: Scrub the pot with soapy water and a scrub brush. Rinse and let it air dry in the sun. Next, soak it in a solution of one part old fashioned household chlorine bleach and nine parts water. Let it air dry again. Hopefully, that will solve the problem if it is something that is soil borne and has worked its way into the pores of the pot. (Terracotta is a kind of clay.)