The Q&A Archives: Dianthus and Coreopsis

Question: I have 11 large planters they all had Rosemary in them my landscapers never watered them so they died I had to actually ask them to replace all my Rosemaries they agreed to do only 9 planters so I have 2 remaining they want to charge me a lot to replace 10 rosemary plant it is not in my budget the price they're asking for can I replnt any other plants there I love the Dianthus Desmond and Coreopsis 'Sternthaler' I do need help with fertilizing the soil and mulch please help me!!!!!!

Answer: Coreopsis is a carefree plant (although it will need to be watered!). These plants love sunny spots and average but well draining soils. Use regular potting soil or a 50/50 mix of potting soil and garden soil. You won't need to fertilize, but you should water thoroughly once or twice a week (depending upon weather). An organic mulch such as bark chips over the top of the soil will help slow evaporation and will make the planters look nice. Dianthus is another good choice for a sunny spot. You might also consider planting heathers in the planters. They are virtually maintenance free, love well draining soil and will need water only once every 5-7 days.

Best wishes with your new plants!