The Q&A Archives: Asian Pear black leaf

Question: Try as I did, my asian pear did not survive black leaf. If I should try again, what should I do to prevent it. (I even cut it OUT! as well as used a spray that was suppose to detour it)I live in the hot San Joaquin Valley; is it posibble it is too hot here to be successful? Thanks

Answer: I don't think your area is too hot. Most new Asian pear plantings in California are in Fresno, Tulare and Kern Counties. Older plantings are found in Placer and Sacramento Counties and limited new plantings are being made in the Sacramento Valley. A few plantings exist in Yakima and Wenatchee, Washington, and others are found in Hood River and Willamette Valley in Oregon. In the last few years plantings of Asian pears were made in New Zealand, Australia, Chile, France, and the eastern and southeastern United States.

You might try planting a disease-resistant variety such as 'Shinko': The fruit is large and round to slightly flattened with a beautiful bronze-russet skin. Fruit flavor is excellent in hot climates but the fruit stores only about two months. The tree is well shaped and extremely productive, an annual bearer despite heavy crops. It matures during the first week of September and appears to be nearly resistant to fireblight.

Best wishes with your asian pear tree!