The Q&A Archives: Catalpa Tree

Question: Can you tell me what could be going on with my Catalpa tree? The leaves are curling up and there are dark spots underneath them and there is this sticky stuff coming off the tree and covering everything.
Thank you.

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your description I am not able to diagnose the problem(s) affecting your tree. For instance, the leaf spots could be due to a variety of fungal or leaf spot problems, the leaf curl could be related to a verticillium infection, and the stickiness and dark spots might be related to a pest infestation such as aphids which would secrete honeydue on which sooty mold then forms. For this reason I would strongly suggest you consult with your local Cornell extension and/or a professionally trained and certified arborist with experience in ornamental trees to try to obtain a specific diagnosis. Based on knowing that, you can decide what to do for the tree. If a chemical control is needed, your county extension should have the most up to date information on what to use and how/when is best to apply it for maximum results. I'm sorry you are having trouble with your tree and I wish I could be more specific for you but this requires more of an on-site diagnosis.