The Q&A Archives: roots

Question: I have a peace lily and when I water it, the water removes the dirt. The roots are showing and I think that it have root rot. What is root rot? How do I stop it?

Answer: Root rot damages the roots so they are unable to take up moisture for the plant. A peach lily that wilts even though the soil is moist would be showing symptoms of root rot. Bare roots alone would not be a sign of root rot.

You could consider adding a small amount of potting mix to the surface of the pot, just enough to cover the roots. Also, be sure to water with a gentle pouring action to avoid washing the soil away from the roots.

If the plant is somehow sitting too high in the soil so that covering the roots would cause the soil to be higher than the sides of the pot, you could gently repot it into a new container. Cover the roots with soil but do not plant it so deep that the stems are under the soil surface. Good luck with your peace lily!