The Q&A Archives: Thorny weed

Question: I purchased a Balloon Flower that evidently had a weed hiding in the soil. It has grown now and I would like to get rid of it, but first want to know what it is. It has thorny stems and the center of each leaf has a whitish smudge in the center. Thank you.

Answer: Based on your description I am not certain what kind of plant that would be, possibly a thistle of some sort. Here are some photos and descriptions of a variety of thistles.

Here is an illustrated list of weeds commonly found in Ohio. Perhaps you will recognize it from here.

If not, your local county extension should be able to identify it from either a photo of the overall plant and a closeup of the leaf and stem, or a sample freshly cut and enclosed in a clear plastic bag (keep it cool so it stays fresh.)

I hope this helps you identify your weed.