The Q&A Archives: pom pom tree

Question: Have a miniture pompom tree that the pines are turning brown, what can I spray it with or put around the roots to help bring back the fullness and green color it had last summer.

Answer: In searching for a tree with the name pompom or pompon, the only plant I found reference to is Dais cotinifolia. This is actually a tropical tree that grows to close to 20 feet. It is generally considered easy to grow in the landscape. With a container plant, poor color and foliage issues are sometimes related to a need for repotting. If you have had it for some time and it has grown, it may need to be repotted into a larger container to accommodate the proportionately larger root system. Or, if you are treating it as a bonsai, it may need to be root pruned and repotted. If you root prune, you would also need to prune the branches to compensate for the trimmed roots. Finally, if you have not fertilized it, you might try a complete water soluble fertilizer such as 10-10-10 plus minors. Apply it at the weaker rate on the label about once a month from spring through fall. Good luck with your pompom tree!