The Q&A Archives: Veg Garden

Question: My plants are humungus but very little fruit and very small. Is this due too to much nitrogen? If so how do I counter act it. Thank You
Sue Medaglia

Answer: An oversupply of nitrogen can cause plants to grow excessive foliage at the expense of flowering and fruiting, yes. However, depending on what plants you are growing, what you are seeing may be part of the normal seasonal progression. The plants need to reach a certain level of maturity and vigor before they will bear.

If you did somehow overfertilize, there is no way to counter act that except wait for the fertilizer to leach out of the soil. If you have been using a foliar feed, reduce or stop. Always carefully read and follow the label directions and never exceed the label rates for application.

Also, you may want to run some basic soil tests to check both fertility and soil pH. Then you can use the test results to guide your fertilizer and/or lime applications. That is the most precise way to find out how much to use. Good luck with your garden this summer!