The Q&A Archives: planting near oak

Question: I have a oak tree and I would like to know what plants would go good around it. I heard oak trees have alot of acid.

Answer: Oaks don't like competition from the roots of other plants, nor do they like summer water, so only drought-tolerant plants that require no summer water should be planted around old established oaks, and they should be planted no closer than six feet from the base of the tree. A few things you can plant include Arctostaphylos edmundsii (Manzanita), Baccharis pilularis 'Twin Peaks' (Dwarf Coyote Brush), Heuchera spp. (Coral Bells), Iris douglasiana (Douglas Iris), Mahonia repens (Creeping Mahonia), Ribes viburnifolium (Evergreen Ribes) and Vancouveria planipetala (Inside-Out-Flower).