The Q&A Archives: Weeds in Flower Bed

Question: I have this weed which I cannot get rid of. It is in my flower beds. I have sprayed it with Round-Up and it will kill it for a while but then it comes back. It's easy to pull up. One person said it might be nut grass. Please help. I want my flower beds back!

Answer: Nut grass is really a sedge so grass killers won't work and Round-Up will only kill the tops, but not the storage bulb or "nut" attached to the roots. The best way to kill it off is to dig it, roots and all, or cover the bare soil with weed block which will eventually kill it off. If you want to try an herbicide, a product called Scythe is effective. Pelargonic acid is the main active ingredient in Scythe herbicide, which is labeled for use around ornamentals and many vegetables. Scythe is a non-selective, contact herbicide that will damage any foliage it touches, so care must be taken to protect desireable plants from contact or drift. Repeat applications as new plants emerge. Always read the pesticide label for specific instructions.