The Q&A Archives: how do yu take care of

Question: I noticed today a Eugenia tropical plant that was in the sun. Someone said that the plant should have been inside. There wasn't any information on caring for the plant:
Is this a full sun or partial sun plant?
How often should it be watered?
Should I bring it inside during the winter?
When should it be replanted?

Awaiting your answers, before purchasing.

Thanks so much,
Shirl Parsons

Answer: There are many different kinds ofEugenia, but you may have seen a Surinam cherry or Eugenia unifolia. This is grown as a landscape plant (small tree) in warm climates, but in Pennsylvania it would have to be brought indoors for the winter. For that reason it would be best grown as a container plant and brought inside as a houseplant each winter. Some gardeners grow it as a topiary to help control its size as a container plant. Provide it iwith as much sun as possible during the winter, full or partial sun when outdoors in summer. Water as needed to keep the slightly moist but not sopping wet or saturated. Repotting would be based on whether or not you wanted it to grow larger or maintain it in the same container. If kept in the same container it would require periodica root pruning in addition to pruning of the branches. I hope this helps.