The Q&A Archives: silver queen corn turning purpley red

Question: My corn was doing very well and has some corn, it all of the sudden started to turn a purple red color and there seems to be dirt or something where the leaves come off stalk. One corn cob actually is exposed. I do have them in large pots and not in the ground. Should I transplant? The plants are about 4 ft high. Thank you for your help!!

Answer: Cheryl,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

That corn is stressed for some reason. Most likely a lack of water since it is in a container, although it could also be a nutrient deficiency such as phosphorus or potassium. I would not try to transplant it at this point but in the future you should start it in the ground.