The Q&A Archives: Fertilizing, trimming, liming

Question: How many times a year should I fertilize my yard? Should I lime my yard every year? When is the best time to trim shrubs and roses?

Answer: Mike,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Fertilizing depends on the type of grass and liming depends on soil pH. I suggest you have your soil tested to guide you. Your County Extension Office can help provide info on how to have your soil tested to determine nutrient needs and lime requirements.

As a general guide fertilize by applying 1 pound of nitrogen after your second spring mowing and another pound in early to mid fall. Divide the first number on the fertilizer bag into 100 to get the number of pounds of that product it takes to get a pound of actual nitrogen.