The Q&A Archives: Magnolia Care

Question: I recently purchased a DD Blanchard Southern Magnolia tree and have several questions.
1. How much water does the plant need on a daily basis?
2. I want to prune the tree to echourage a single truck it has a small v in it now. When can I trim off the lower branches and the smaller trunck? What time of year is best and how much can I trim off?

Answer: Gary,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

It is difficult to say how much water a plant needs daily since soil type, sun exposure, temperature, etc. will all affect this. I would build a raised berm of soil about 3 - 4 feet in diameter around the base of the tree and fill it with water every 2 or 3 days depending on how hot and sunny it is. Choose the best of the two current trunks and cut the other one off at the "V". Leave the lower branches until next Jan or Feb and remove them up to about waist high then. Wait until a year later to remove them any higher.