The Q&A Archives: What will remove a white/brown scally substance?

Question: All frons have this white scally harsh stuff and frons have brown spots as well. I have this plant in a container in my patio apartment. It has 4 separate palm bases and looks beautiful except now it looks terrible. Can you help me without taking this large pot to store?

Answer: Clare,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Your options are to either coat the scale insects completely with a summer oil spray or to use a product containing imidocloprid which is systemic. Apply it to the scale and also drench the soil as the roots will take it up. It works slowly but it works.