The Q&A Archives: peace lily

Question: My peace lily that I have had another sprout coming out of it. I let it grow til it was two or three inches tall; then I pulled it out of the ground. I put it in a glass jar with water and it started to wilt and it on my window seal. What do I do to make it beter?

Answer: Based on your description I am not sure you will be able to save it. Usually this plant would be divided by cutting the plant into sections. Each section would include a portion of the top growth and the corresponding roots for that top growth. If the piece you pulled off has no roots, I don't think it will grow. If it has roots, I would suggest potting it into a good quality potting mix formulated container plants. Keep the soil slightly moist like a wrung out sponge. Hopefully, it will recover enough to put out new growth.