The Q&A Archives: bloodgood japanese maple

Question: I planted a bloodgood japanese maple tree about 3 weeks ago. New leaves are coming out nicely. For the last week, the weather is close to 100 degrees and the leaves are beginning to wilt. What can I do to protect the leaves from wilting? Please advise.

Answer: Bloodgood is one of the Japanese maples that can tolerate full sunshine so the future looks good for your tree. Because it is newly planted and hasn't had a chance to adapt to its new surroundings, it is likely to suffer stress from exposure to hot sunshine. Aside from soaking the soil deeply once each week, there's not much you can do except to wait it out. Once the roots become fully established and the leaves mature, your tree should shed the damaged leaves and develop healthy (and stronger) new leaves. It's normal for leaves to wilt in the hot sunshine - it is the trees' way of conserving moisture and protecting the branches. They usually recover overnight. Keep your tree watered (once each week) and it should recover.

Best wishes with your maple!