The Q&A Archives: Dogs and lawn or ground cover

Question: We have dogs that are outside dogs and their area is on the side of the house that doesn't get as much sun during the day. The grass is completely gone in that area.
I would move them to another spot, but it seems to be the only area that works for them.
But being here the grass is gone. For obvious reasons.
We have thought about reseeding part of the area and thought about possibly doing a stepable ground cover for the other.
Is there a ground cover that is safe for animals to walk on? Or would you suggest something totally different?
Cause our only other option is to put sand down and maybe some stone too.

Answer: Mary,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

There are groundcovers and grasses you can grow but with the dogs penned in that area the plants just won't be able to survive the foot traffic and digging. I would go with your sand idea.