The Q&A Archives: Mesquite Tree is Dying

Question: My Mesquite was doing great. All the leaves dried out suddenly during this last winter and didn't return in the spring. Now all of a sudden within the last 2 weeks a few fresh twigs started to show up, but only on one or two branches. Long branches started to grow from the bottom of the trunk and from the root. What's going on?

Answer: Is there a chance of frost damage? Depending on the species, Mesquite is frost tolerant to zero to 15 degrees. It is normal for them to drop their leaves in cold weather, but the return is strange. I suggest you contact your University of Nevada County Cooperative Extension office, 2345 Red Rock St, Las Vegas, 702-223-3130. They will know if something in particular is going on with mesquites in your area. Good luck!