The Q&A Archives: Ants

Question: How do I get rid off ants in my outside container plants without hurting the plants. These ants are like small

Answer: Here's a relatively easy solution: Make a paste out of boric acid powder and sweetened condensed milk. Add powder and condensed milk until you have a consistency somewhat like fudge. Roll into small balls and place balls where ants are a problem. The ants will carry the bait back to their nest where they share it with other ants who ingest it and die. When using this remedy outside place the balls in a sheltered area where the rain won't melt the bait and in such a way that children and pets can't get to them. There is also an inedible herb called Tansy which works well as an ant (and other insect) repellent, try planting a few in your garden containers. It is an attractive flower, and the flower heads are often used in dried flower arrangements.

Good luck with your garden!