The Q&A Archives: Rooting Rose Prunings

Question: I have a gorgeous peach-colored hybrid tea rose. I was pruning the rose and stuck a piece in the ground; to my surprise it is still green and lively. When I pruned the rose I left the cuttings in the garbage. Today I was astonished to find the large pieces of hardwood sprouting. Is possible to make a new rose from this or is it just stored energy allowing it to grow, and if it possible how would I go about doing so?

Answer: I would venture that your rose is a vigorous one and that the sprouts are a result of the stored energy within the canes. Even if a cutting from a hybrid rose were to root, it's not likely that the resulting rose bush will be hardy enough to grow for very long. Hybrid roses are almost always grafted onto a really vigorous rootstock, to help them survive the challenges of winter weather. Since you've already rooted a new rose, enjoy it, but don't spend invest too much time, or hope, in this project -- the results may be disappointing.