The Q&A Archives: Hibiscus dying

Question: I purchased three white hibiscus at Home Depot. I used Mircle Grow Potting Soil and planted all three in a new pot. One by one, the plants are dying. They turn brown and have unopened buds on each of them. I removed the last one and placed in a pot by itself to try and keep it alive. I would take the two dead ones back but I didn't keep track of my receipt. What could be wrong? Thanks.

Answer: How disappointing to have two of your new plants die off. Heat stress can really take its toll on new plants. Although you placed them in fresh soil in new pots, hot dry air can dessicate foliage and flower buds, as can intense sunshine. With your remaining plant, try placing it where it will be protected from hot afternoon sunshine and keep afternoon sunshine from directly hitting the pot. If it does, it can bake the roots. Water thoroughly, then allow the top inch of soil to dry out before watering thoroughly again. You might also try hosing the plant off to increase humidity around the plant. Hope these steps help you save your hibiscus!