The Q&A Archives: weed control

Question: I read the weed information in the newsletter. I have recently replaced and replanted my neglected garden beds. We tend to get a lot of weeds. So I am currently watering and establishing what I have planted and now the weeds are starting to appear overnight. They are very small and clover like. There are grass like ones too. My question is do I have to get them all out of the soil or is turning over the soil good? I want to put the mulch down but I'm not sure when to do it. By the way I put in carpet roses and rose trees and I know the directions did enclude mulch. Thanks for your time. Susan

Answer: Since the weeds are only just starting to appear, now's the time to take control. Pull them up before they set seed then put down a weed barrier - either the kind you purchase in sheets or rolls, or use 4-5 layers of newspaper on top of the bare soil. Weed barriers will exclude light, which will keep weed seeds from sprouting. After you've installed the weed barrier, cover it with an attractive mulch material - bark chips or decorative rock are good choices. Once you've done this, your garden should be weed free for years to come and you can enjoy your roses and other flowers.

Best wishes with your garden!