The Q&A Archives: brown grass

Question: My grass has some brown spots in it. It starts on the tips of the blade. Last year the grass died in several spots. Now it starting to grow again. Now I am getting more spots. Centipede

Answer: It's really difficult to diagnose lawn problems without knowing the cultural care they're getting, but here's my best guess: Brown Patch
Brown Patch is most common to Bermuda, Kentucky Bluegrass, Centipede Grass, Bent Grass, St. Augustine, and ryegrasses in regions with high humidity and/or shade. Brown patch commonly starts as a small spot and can quickly spread outwards in a circular or horseshoe pattern up to a couple of feet wide. Often times, while expanding outwards, the inside of the circle will recover, leaving the brown areas resembling a smoke-ring.

The best prevention for brown patch is to aerate often, reduce shade to affected areas, and follow a fertilization schedule.

The most common fungicides used on Brown Patch are: benomyl or chlorothalonil. Be sure to apply according to label directions.

Good luck with your lawn!