The Q&A Archives: orchid wont bloom

Question: I fell in love with orchids, I buy them from all over in bloom but every one never blooms again. another ones leaves are leathery, and another brown and falling off. I love each one and they all have great memerys of places I am limited to suplys but il try my best PLEASE HELP.

Answer: I love orchids, too! There are many types of orchids available, but most will thrive under the same growing conditions. If yours are not growing well, it may indicate hot, stuffy conditions, or insufficient light. Orchids like a day temperature of about 70F during the summer and 60F during the winter, with a 10 degree drop at night. Cool nights are important to the health and flowering ability of your plant. Orchids require 10-15 hours of light each day, so you may need to supplement natural light with artificial light during the winter months when the days are short. Orchids like moist soil and appreciate being misted once or twice each day. To increase humidity around the plant, place the pot on a layer of rocks in a tray of water. As the water evaporates it will provide moist, humid conditions around your plant. Try adjusting the growing environment and your orchid should recover and begin blooming for you.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"