The Q&A Archives: How can I get rid of Dalis Grass?

Question: Dalis Grass is taking over my lawn. I have 2 dogs, so chemicals is a concern. Can you suggest a save method to get weeds under control? Of, if pulling them up is best, can you recommend the best tool? I've heard about a

Answer: Terry,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

You have a couple of options. The weed popper may work okay but I think you'll have to try one on the Dallis grass to know for sure. It's root system and the fact that it is in a lawn make it a little more of a challenge. You can water the lawn or work after a rain when hand pulling or using a weed tool of some type would work easier or better. If you are not able to find a weed popper you might want to try some type of weeding fork or other hand tool designed for removing weeds. I have also dabbed glyphosate (Roundup is one brand) on weeds in my lawn taking care not to get it on the turf for fairly effective results.