The Q&A Archives: Squirrels

Question: I noticed the squirrels started to dig around my pepper plants. Is there a way to keep them away from my plants? I know sooner or later they will taste my plants as well and its fruit.

Answer: Magda,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

You can use one of the commercially available repellent products. Spraying hot pepper extracts on the plants and surrounding soil should work to keep them away for a while but would need to be replied. You can also put a section of mesh wire on the ground around the plants to keep them from digging in that area.