The Q&A Archives: Roses

Question: I would like to plant some " care free" roses. My daughter has one at her home that just comes up every year. All she has to do is cut it back in the fall and the next spring it comes up and does its thing. Since it was there when she moved inand the house itself is about 140 years old, we have no idea what kind it is. Could you give me the name of kinds of roses today that require as little care? And where I could get them? Thank you

Answer: There are many "low maintenance" roses. One of my favorites is the 'Bonica' rose. It is highly disease resistant, very hard, and very carefree. It is available from Burpee. You can reach them at 1-800-888-1447. Many shrub roses or "old" roses are pretty low maintenance. The "pickier" roses are usually hybrid tea roses. Other low maintenance varieties include Rosa Rugosa (also available from Burpee), 'Carefree Wonder', 'Carefree Beauty', Harrison's Yellow (hybrid Foetida), Persian Yellow (Hybrid Foetida), Rosa hugonis (Father Hugo's Rose), and Hybrid Spinossissimas (plenty). Check local nurseries if you are interested in any of those varieties.