The Q&A Archives: Greenhouse fluorescent lighting/pests

Question: I am in the process of finishing my greenhouse. I have fluorescent lighting but it seems to attract flying insects, etc. The insects are bad this year but----- is there a special type of bulb I can buy to keep the pests away? or at least not attract them so?

Thank you

Answer: If you're using the fluorescent light for your own convenience rather than as supplemental light for your plants, then yes, you can purchase bulbs that are not attractive to flying insects. If you're using fluorescent lights to supplement natural light for your plants, you'll need to keep your current lights; they provide the full-spectrum of light waves that your plants will need to grow. In this case, you can use sticky traps to capture insects that are attracted to the lights. Sticky traps can be purchased, or you can make your own to hang near the light fixtures. Simply take or make some bright yellow index cards or pieces of construction paper and smear them with Tanglefoot or Vaseline. When insects land on the cards, they'll get stuck. Replace the traps as needed.

Best wishes with your new greenhouse!