The Q&A Archives: Grubs and Skunks Damage Lawn

Question: I sodded my lawn 2 years ago and was delighted with the results the first year. Last year I began to lose portions of the sodded area for no apparent reason. Toward the end of the summer I began to notice a skunk was visiting nightly and digging in the area of the sod which had gone brown. Is it possible this is actually a grub problem? If so what can I do to prevent them and get the grass growing again?

Answer: It could very well be that grubs are causing problems in your lawn. The problem is compounded by the fact that skunks love grubs and will dig for them mercilessly. Beneficial nematodes will give quick control of the grubs. These microscopic worm-like creatures parasitize the grubs in the lawn helping in two grubs chewing on your lawn, no skunks digging for grubs. Beneficial nematodes won't live year to year, so you'll need to reapply annually. Best of luck!