The Q&A Archives: safe for orchid insecticide

Question: please give me the name of the best/safest/green insecticide for orchids. Thank you

Answer: Debra,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Orchids generally don't need to be treated for insect pests. If you are not sure what the pest is you might want to take a sample to your County Extension Office and see if they can identify the problem and if necessary prescribe an appropriate remedy.

If you do have insect pests neem oil is a good option for many situations. It works fairly well on scale, mealy bugs, aphids and several other small insects. The following web site offers more info on managing orchid insects: