The Q&A Archives: funges

Question: i got new bag soil for my plant in a pot and never had this be for mushroom growing in my pot a lot of them it came with the soil im sure. never had this and i have over 50 pots and costly to change these pot big pots. med size gray white

Answer: Excessive soil moisture from overwatering may contribute to the problem. However, there can be mushrooms in potting soil even if you don't overwater.

Most commercial potting soils contain compost. The compost may be from many sources, but in every case fungi are part of the composting process. If the compost was properly made, the fungi should be no problem. The fungi in the potting soil should not infect the geraniums. The fungi are just continuing the process of decomposing the organic material in the soil to form humus and humic acids. If the soil was not properly heat treated during composting or afterwards, the quantity of active fungi will be very high. When the potting soil bag was opened new fungi could have been introduced to the soil. It would then reinfest, and fungi can grow in the potting soil.

In order for the development of mushrooms (fruiting structures of some fungi) a large mass of fungi must grow. High levels of soil moisture contribute to mushroom development. You can reduce the growth of fungi and development of mushrooms in your potted plants by allowing some drying of the surface of the soil.

You can use a spoon to remove the mushrooms from your potted plants.