The Q&A Archives: Bees in soil of container garden

Question: I live in so.calif. In the last month, along with the rise in temperature, the amount of bees
that cluster around the holes in the sides of my
planter containers have risen. They must be in groups of 5-10 at each opening. Now they are in the topsoil of containers with ivy. They don't seem too interested in the flowers just the damp soil. Any ways to deter this?

Answer: The bees are finding moisture in the potting soil and it must be the only source around. They are creatures of habit and finds ways of broadcasting their good fortune. The best way to deal with it is to temporarily cover the openings and the top of the potting soil. They'll get the message an leave after a few "dry runs". Use plastic wrap as a barrier (removing it when you're watering and when the soil is draining after you've watered). This should encourage them to go elsewhere for water.

Best wishes with your garden!