The Q&A Archives: Is Fescue Grass Dead if Brown

Question: My fescue grass has turned brown and looks dead in many areas of my lawn. We have severe watering restrictions and I missed my alloted time for about a week - that also had 90 degree plus heat.
This does not appear to be brown patch, but possibly from lack of water - my question is - will the grass come back or green up or revive if I get back on schedule watering?

Answer: Michele,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Your fescue is a tough call. Being a cool season grass it struggles through summer and is among the least tolerant of turf species to drought. I suggest you not give up on it just yet and try another watering to see if it will recover. If it doesn't show some signs of green after two waterings I would consider it gone.