The Q&A Archives: Too late to plant flowers?

Question: My husband and I are just now trying to get our landscape together. Is it to late to plant flowers this time of year?

Answer: Yolanda,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

You can still plant flowers that love the heat. Some examples include: zinnias (including narrow leafed zinnia, Zinnia angustifolia), blackfoot daisy, Esperanza (Tecoma stans), Salvias (many good ones including Salvia greggii and Salvia 'Indigo Spires'), Ice Plant, Celosia, Scaevola, purslane and moss rose, Blue Daze (Evolvulus), dwarf Zinnias (especially narrow leaf zinnia), Calibrachoa, Batfaced Cuphea, Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine, and Scaevola (Fan flower).