The Q&A Archives: My garden is infested with aphids

Question: My garden is infested with aphids. I've tried everything but can not get rid of them. They are destroying my roses and other flowers.

Answer: Usually, aphids can be knocked off the plants with a stream of water from the garden hose and once down, will not find their way back. They can also be treated with insecticidal soap, be sure to read and carefully follow all of the directions including for reapplication to catch subsequent generations of the aphids. In some cases, aphids are especially attracted to plants that have been overfertilized with excess nitrogen. If you are fertilizing heavily, you might want to keep that in mind. I should also mention that when a population is heavy, ladybugs will usually appear and begin to control it if they are left alone to do their work. Finally, you might want to double check with your county extension to make sure the problem is truly aphids and not something else.